Sassed-up canned beans become a creamy layer in this vegetarian sandwich, while thick-cut feta provides something to sink your teeth into.
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (from reserved ½ lemon)
- Leftover fennel stems and fronds from Big Batch Chicken Thighs
- 4 slices dark rye bread, toasted
- 5 oz. French feta, sliced into thick planks
Mash beans, sauce, and lemon juice in a medium bowl until combined and mostly smooth; season with salt. Thinly slice about ⅓ cup fennel stems and tear fronds to measure ¼ cup.
Divide mixture between 2 slices of bread. Layer feta over and top with cucumbers. Scatter fennel stems and fronds over. Close up sandwiches with remaining slices of bread.