An extra chile for this harissa recipe will play up the heat, and if you’re feeling confident, you can customize the mix of spices as well.
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 roasted red peppers from a jar, seeds removed
- 1 fresh red chile (such as cayenne or Fresno), halved, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Cook garlic and oil in a small saucepan over medium until garlic is tender, 10–15 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, toast caraway seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and peppercorns in a dry small skillet, tossing often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool; finely grind in spice mill.
Blend spices, garlic and oil, roasted red peppers, chile, vinegar, and sugar in a blender until smooth; season with salt.
Do Ahead: Harissa can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.