- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices, rings separated
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Combine 6 cups water, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then boil 1 minute. Drain. Return onions and garlic to same saucepan. Add vinegar and all remaining ingredients. Add enough water to saucepan just to cover onions. Bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover, and cool. Transfer onion mixture to bowl, cover, and chill overnight. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.