This recipe balances the earthy sweetness of roasted beets with tangy citrus for a salad worthy of hot-weather consumption.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons finely grated grapefruit peel
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 2 1/2-inch-diameter unpeeled beets, tops trimmed
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 small pink or ruby grapefruits, all peel and pith cut away, segments cut from between membranes
- 2 oranges, all peel and pith cut away, segments cut from between membranes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Whisk vinegar, mustard, citrus peels, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss beets and oil in large bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each beet in foil. Place directly on oven rack; roast until tender, 60 to 70 minutes. Open foil; cool 30 minutes. Rub skins off beets; cut each into 8 wedges. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place spinach in large bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Divide among plates. Add beets and citrus segments to same bowl. Add 2 tablespoons vinaigrette; toss to coat. Arrange beet mixture atop spinach; sprinkle with cheese and chives. Serve, passing any remaining vinaigrette.