These pickles are extra salty and crunchy. They’re best paired with fatty cuts of meat but also good to munch on by themselves. This recipe is from Gunpowder, an Indian restaurant in London.
- 3 small red beets, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut into ⅓-inch-thick wedges
- 6 red radishes, trimmed, cut into ⅓-inch-thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
Place beets and radishes in a small bowl. Toast fennel seeds in a dry small saucepan over medium heat, shaking pan often, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add vinegar, salt, sugar, and ½ cup water and bring to a boil, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved, about 1 minute. Pour brine over beets and radishes and let cool. Cover and chill at least 8 hours before serving.
Do Ahead: Vegetables can be pickled 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.