- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 (or more) cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Add ⅓ cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry. Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.