- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Large pinch of ground cloves
- Large pinch of ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- Caramelized Apples (click for recipe)
Whisk first 12 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Whisk buttermilk, honey, egg yolk, and orange peel in medium bowl to blend. Whisk buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients. Stir in melted butter. Beat egg white in another medium bowl until stiff but not dry; fold into batter.
Spray 8- to 9-inch square waffle iron with nonstick spray and preheat. Pour half of batter (about 1 cup) onto hot iron. Close top and cook until brown and set, about 3 minutes (time will vary depending on machine). Transfer waffle to large rack placed on rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter. DO AHEAD Can be made ahead. Let stand at room temperature up to 3 hours or cool completely, wrap in foil, and let stand at room temperature 1 day. Rewarm uncovered on rack on baking sheet in 350°F oven until crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
Cut waffles into squares. Divide squares among 4 plates. Top with ice cream and Caramelized Apples.