These crisp, fresh pickles are often offered along with fresh herbs at the table. Tuck them into a lettuce-leaf wrapper or use them to doctor brothy soup.
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, julienned
- 1 Fresno chile, with seeds, julienned
- 8 oz. mung bean sprouts (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil or cilantro leaves, thinly sliced
Toss carrot, chile, bean sprouts, lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let sit 5 minutes. Top with basil just before serving.