- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 6 whole sweet Italian sausages (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 6 cups cooked white beans with 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid (see Cannellini Beans with Garlic and Sage)
- 1 14- to 15-ounce can plum tomatoes in juice; tomatoes chopped, juice reserved
- 2 large fresh sage sprigs
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic. Sauté garlic until golden, about 2 minutes. Add sausages; sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup reserved bean cooking liquid, tomatoes with juice, and sage. Simmer 5 minutes. Add beans and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer until sausages are cooked through, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if dry, about 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer until sauce thickens, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.