- 11 cups ½-inch cubes firm-textured white bread (about 1¼ pounds)
- ¾ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- ¾ pound Italian sausage (hot or sweet), casings removed
- ½ cup chicken stock or canned broth
Preheat oven to 250°F. Spread bread cubes on baking sheet. Bake until dry to touch, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms, rosemary and generous amount of pepper and cook until mushrooms soften, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add celery and apple and stir 1½ minutes. Mix in parsley, sage and thyme. Add to bread and toss to blend.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add sausage to same skillet and cook until beginning to brown, breaking up with fork. Add to bread, using slotted spoon. Add stock to stuffing and mix to blend. Season with salt. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)