- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 5 cups frozen corn kernels (about 24 ounces), thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 7.25- to 7.41-ounce jar whole steamed or roasted peeled chestnuts* (about 1 1/2 cups), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; whisk 1 minute. Gradually whisk in half and half. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; stir constantly until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Add corn and next 4 ingredients; simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in chestnuts and chives. Transfer to large bowl. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature or rewarm slightly in microwave before continuing.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk eggs 1 at a time into corn mixture. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes. Serve hot.
*Sold at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.