Portland-based Salt & Straw adds a drop of vinegar and a hint of pepper to balance the sweetness in this strawberry shake, plus a splash of rum to make it deliciously grown-up. If you're making this for the under-21 crowd, just omit the booze.
- 4 ounces fresh strawberries (about 3 large), hulled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, 80 proof (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream
- Freshly, finely ground black or pink pepper
Combine strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; let macerate until juices are released, about 30 minutes. Add rum and vinegar.
Scoop ice cream into a blender. Add strawberry mixture and blend until smooth. Divide milk shake among small glasses. Top each shake with a dollop of whipped cream; sprinkle lightly with pepper. Serve with a straw (or two).