- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tamarind concentrate
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery stalks
- 1 cup (loosely packed) celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 3 8-ounce New York strip steaks (about 1 inch thick)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook until pale golden, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cayenne and stir 1 minute. Add broth, tamarind concentrate, and ginger. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in honey and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm sauce before using.
Combine sliced celery, celery leaves, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl. Cover celery salsa and chill. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead.
Combine cracked peppercorns, cumin seeds, and celery seeds in small shallow bowl. Sprinkle steaks with salt. Press steaks into spice mixture to coat thoroughly.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Place steaks in skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let steaks rest 10 minutes. Cut steaks on angle into 1/2-inch slices. Divide steak slices among plates. Serve with tamarind sauce and celery salsa.