- 1 pound dried cannellini (white kidney beans) or Great Northern beans, rinsed
- 10 large fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 24 large Kalamata olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 2 large roasted red bell peppers from jar, drained, chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
Bring 10 cups water, beans, sage leaves, and garlic to boil in large pot. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until beans are just tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours (cooking time will vary depending on freshness of beans). Stir in 2 teaspoons sea salt and simmer 10 minutes longer. Drain well. Discard sage leaves. Transfer beans to large bowl. Drizzle oil and 3 tablespoons lemon juice over. Toss gently to coat. Add parsley, onion, olives, red peppers, capers, and oregano to beans; toss gently to incorporate evenly. Let stand 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Return to room temperature before serving.
For the omnivore, drain one 10- to 12-ounce can of tuna packed in oil; coarsely crumble. Toss tuna, 3 tablespoons drained capers, and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice in medium bowl. Add to beans and toss to incorporate evenly.