Spicy, salty, sweet, with a hit of umami, this party mix riff with matzo has it all.
- 3 sheets matzo, broken into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 325°. Line a large-rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Toss matzo and nuts in a large bowl to evenly distribute.
Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, soy sauce, garam masala, salt, pepper, and cayenne and whisk until thick. Pour over nuts and matzo and fold to coat. Spread out on prepared baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, 35–45 minutes.
Remove from oven, drizzle butter over, and toss to coat. Let cool.
Do Ahead: Party mix can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.