- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Bring 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar just to simmer in heavy small saucepan over medium heat, stirring mixture constantly until sugar dissolves. Stir in instant espresso powder and vanilla extract. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups water. Pour into 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Freeze mixture 1 hour; stir, mashing any frozen parts with back of fork. Cover and freeze mixture until firm, at least 1 to 2 hours longer and up to 1 day. Using fork, scrape granita, forming icy flakes. Return granita to freezer.
Beat cream, cardamom, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in large bowl until peaks form. Divide granita among bowls or glasses. Top granita with whipped cream.