- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored, halved lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, on sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoons oil. Turn cut side up again if needed. Sprinkle with coarse salt, then oregano. Roast until soft but beginning to brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool on sheet.
Puree tomatoes in blender until smooth. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add tomato puree and tomato paste and bring to boil, whisking to blend. Boil until sauce is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool sauce. Cover and chill up to 3 days.