- 6 large (8-ounce) red bell peppers
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup cooked white rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
Cut off top 1/2 inch of peppers and reserve. Scoop seeds from cavities. Discard stems and chop pepper tops. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, parsley, garlic, and chopped pepper pieces. Sauté until onions soften, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in rice, paprika, salt, pepper, and allspice. Cool 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, then beef and egg.
Fill pepper cavities with beef mixture. Stand filled peppers in single layer in heavy large pot. Pour remaining 2 cups tomato sauce around peppers. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer 20 minutes. Spoon some sauce over each pepper. Cover; cook until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through and firm, about 20 minutes.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover and chill. Rewarm covered over low heat.