- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons plus 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, chopped into 1/4” pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped in 1/4” pieces
- 8 ounce eggplant, chopped into 1/4” pieces
- 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole wheat
Heat oven to 375°. Scoop out seeds and some pulp from zucchini and reserve in a small bowl. Brush outside of zucchini shells with 1 teaspoon oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Chop reserved zucchini pulp and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon oil and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes (add 2–4 tablespoons water if pan gets too dry). Stir in garlic and anchovy fillets and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in reserved zucchini pulp, capers, chives, parsley, lemon juice, and breadcrumbs. Season to taste with salt.
Scoop filling into zucchini shells, then drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Roast until golden, 15 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges.