Also known as Fava in Greek cuisine, this herby and bright purée recipe could also be made with nearly any other pulse or bean. It's often served alongside fish or as part of a meze spread.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow or red lentils
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more for serving
Combine onion, lentils, cumin, and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until lentils are falling-apart tender, 25–30 minutes. Let cool.
Purée lentil mixture, 1 cup cilantro, ¼ cup oil, and 2 Tbsp. lime juice in a blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a bowl. Drizzle with oil and lime juice; top with more cilantro.
Do Ahead: Lentil purée can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.