- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nuoc nam or nam pla), divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 fresh lemongrass stalks, tough outer leaves removed, 4 inches of thick end finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3-pound chicken, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Whisk 1/4 cup oil, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, and next 6 ingredients in large bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature 1 hour.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, to skillet (reserve marinade in bowl). Cook 4 minutes. Turn chicken, add reserved marinade to skillet, and transfer to oven. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, about 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
Add 1/2 cup water, lime juice, remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar to skillet. Bring to boil. Remove from heat, spoon fat from surface, and strain pan juices into small pitcher. Serve chicken with pan juices.