- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 kumquats, stemmed, quartered, seeded
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium-size head of radicchio, quartered, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 24 large sea scallops (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
Puree oil, kumquats, and tarragon in processor. Add vinegar, orange juice concentrate, and mustard; process until just combined. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
Combine fennel, radicchio, and green onions in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup vinaigrette; toss to combine.
Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 12 scallops and sauté until golden on both sides and just opaque in center, about 3 minutes total. Transfer sautéed scallops to large plate, then tent with foil. Repeat with remaining butter and scallops.
Divide salad among 8 plates. Place 3 scallops on top of each. Drizzle scallops with remaining vinaigrette and serve.