- 4 large ripe tomatoes (each about 8 ounces)
- 2/3 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)*
- 2/3 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
Cut thin slice from each end of each tomato. Discard ends. Cut each tomato crosswise into 3 thick slices.
Mix polenta, fine cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, cayenne and salt in medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices thoroughly in cornmeal mixture. Transfer to plate.
Pour enough oil into heavy large skillet to reach depth of 1/4 inch. Heat oil over medium heat. Working in 2 batches, add tomatoes and cook until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer tomatoes to paper towels; drain. Transfer tomatoes to platter and serve.