If you have ever peeled, seeded, and sliced cucumbers for salads, this recipe will hopefully change your mind. Smashing the cucumbers augments the vegetable’s ability to absorb seasonings.
- 5 mini seedless or Persian cucumbers or 1 small English hothouse cucumber (about 12 oz.)
- 1 3x1" strip lemon zest, very thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. celery salt, plus more for serving
Gently smash cucumbers with a rolling pin or the back of a heavy knife just to break open. Tear into irregular 2" pieces and place in a medium bowl; season lightly with salt. Let sit at least 5 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, and ¼ tsp. celery salt in a medium bowl to combine; season dressing with salt.