- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped gingersnaps
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams; about 3 large), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Toss first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add butter; using fingertips, rub in until well blended. Cover; chill. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Roast potatoes on baking sheet until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop flesh into bowl; mash. Transfer 4 cups potatoes to large bowl. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Add half and half and next 5 ingredients to potatoes. Using mixer, beat on low speed until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Add yolks 1 at a time, blending after each addition. Using clean dry beaters, beat whites in another large bowl until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat until peaks form. Fold whites into potatoes; spoon into dish. Sprinkle with topping.
Bake pudding until puffed and brown, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.