If you use mezcal, choose a mild one that is not too smoky, like Amarás.
- 1 teaspoon ground chile de árbol
- Small grapefruit wedge (for glass)
- 2 ounces mezcal or silver tequila (such as Patrón)
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit twist (for serving)
Mix salt and chile in a small bowl and spread out on a small plate. Rub the rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge, then dip into salt mixture, pushing through to evenly coat rim. Fill glass with ice and pour in mezcal, grapefruit juice, then soda. Garnish with grapefruit twist.