Feel free to use any of the leafy greens listed here, but dandelion is ideal for its spicy, sturdy leaves.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup day-old bread, torn into ¾-inch pieces
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 1 large bunch dandelion greens, mature spinach, or arugula, trimmed, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted, torn into pieces
- 2 ounces mild dry blue cheese
Cook butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until it foams, then browns and starts to smell nutty, about 4 minutes. Add oil and swirl to combine. Place 2 Tbsp. brown butter in a salad bowl; set aside.
Add bread to skillet, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Cook bread, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and crunchy, about 5 minutes (croutons will crisp more as they cool). Set aside.
Whisk vinegar and lemon juice into reserved browned butter; season dressing with salt and pepper. Add dandelion greens and dates and toss to coat. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired. Add croutons and blue cheese and gently toss to coat.