- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons chicken fat or olive oil, divided
- 6 sheets lightly salted matzo, broken into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/3 cups low-salt chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Place mushrooms in medium bowl; add enough hot water to cover. Let soak until mushrooms are soft, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. Drain mushrooms; slice. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat 2 tablespoons chicken fat in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté until celery is soft and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Add matzo; pour 3 cups broth over. Simmer until broth is absorbed and matzo is very soft, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons chicken fat in another large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/3 cup broth. Simmer until most broth evaporates, about 3 minutes.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons chicken fat to mushrooms. Scrape matzo mixture into skillet with mushrooms. Cook over high heat until stuffing is golden brown, turning over in sections with spatula, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and thyme.