- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped kosher pickle or pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1-pound eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2” rounds, then into 1/2”-thick strips
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons za'atar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more for seasoning
Whisk yogurt, chopped pickle, lemon zest, and oregano in a small bowl to blend. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Place eggplant in a large bowl. Add 2 cups ice and enough water to cover. Place a plate on top of eggplant to weigh it down. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
Pour oil into a large deep pot to a depth of 2". Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of pot and heat oil over medium heat to 325°.
Meanwhile, whisk rice flour, lemon zest, za'atar, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon sea salt in a medium bowl to blend. Drain eggplain. Working in batches, toss damp eggplant in flour mixture to coat.
Working in batches, fry eggplant, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per batch. (Reheat oil to 325° between batches.) Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with lemon juice and sea salt. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.