Think of this tuna tartare recipe as the entry point for eating raw fish.
- 1 serrano or Fresno chile or jalapeño, finely grated
- 12 ounces highest-quality tuna fillets, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 4 thin slices country-style bread, toasted
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Mix mayonnaise and chile in a medium bowl.
Gently fold tuna and oil in a medium bowl to coat tuna with oil (this prevents the tuna from discoloring once the vinegar is added). Add scallions, vinegar, and soy sauce and toss to combine.
Spread chile mayonnaise over toast and top with tuna mixture. Scatter sesame seeds and watercress on top.