- 1 6- to 7-ounce underripe Bosc pear, quartered, cored
- 1 7- to 8-ounce parsnip, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained white horseradish
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
Using coarse grating blade, shred pear in processor. Transfer to paper towels; squeeze very dry. Transfer to large bowl. Shred parsnip in processor; add to pear. Mix in next 4 ingredients, then panko and a sprinkle of black pepper. Coat bottom of large skillet with oil; heat over medium heat. Drop batter by packed 1/4 cupfuls into skillet; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. Sauté until brown and cooked, about 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.