Thick slab bacon is key to this dish. Buy it packaged if you can find it or from the butcher.
- ½ preserved lemon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces slab bacon, sliced ¾ inch thick
- 8 cups chopped Tuscan kale
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
Process preserved lemon, crème fraîche, mayonnaise, and vinegar in a food processor until smooth; season dressing with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high and cook bacon, turning halfway through, until brown and crisp, 8–10 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels and let cool slightly. Slice crosswise to yield 12 pieces.
Toss kale and dressing in a large bowl until coated; let sit 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes and gently toss to coat. Divide salad among plates and top each with 3 pieces of bacon.
Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.