- 1 pound chuck steak, fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 3 cups diced red bell peppers
- 3 cups canned black beans, drained, rinsed (from three 15-ounce cans)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 3/4 cups 3/4 cups (about) beef broth
Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and ground beef and sauté until brown, about 3 minutes. Add cubed beef and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water; bring to boil. Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and sugar and simmer 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, onions, and peppers and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Add black beans and cilantro to chili. Add beef broth 3/4 cup at a time, until thinned to desired consistency. DO AHEAD Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring chili to simmer. Ladle hot chili into bowls; top with grated cheddar cheese and serve.