- 4 tablespoons (about) olive oil, divided
- 6 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick eggplant rounds (3 to 4 inches in diameter; from 1 large)
- 1 loaf ciabatta or pain rustique, cut horizontally in half, trimmed to 9-inch length
- 1 1/4 cups purchased fresh marinara sauce
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil plus 6 whole leaves (for garnish)
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and pepper. Place in skillet. Cover. Cook until tender, turning, 10 minutes. Transfer to plate. Brush cut side of bottom half of bread with rest of oil. Cook in skillet, cut side down, until golden, 1 minute.
Place bread, cut side up, on baking sheet. Spread with 3/4 cup sauce. Crumble goat cheese over; sprinkle with chopped basil. Top with eggplant. Mound mozzarella on eggplant; spoon remaining sauce over.
Bake bread until topping is hot and crust is crisp, about 12 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces. Garnish with basil leaves.