- 1 1/2 pounds boneless veal shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced; 2 tablespoons chopped fronds reserved
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon Italian-style seasoned canned chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper. Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add veal; sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add sliced fennel bulb, carrots, and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 1/4 cups broth; bring to simmer. Cover pot; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until veal and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Mix cornstarch and remaining 1 tablespoon broth in bowl; add to stew. Increase heat; bring to boil, stirring often. Add lemon juice and peel; simmer 2 minutes. Stir in fennel fronds. Serve hot.