- 1 1/2 pounds poblano chiles
- 1/2 pound pork, chicken, or turkey chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 pounds turkey thighs with bones, skinned, boned, meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos,* husked, rinsed, chopped
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño chile with seeds (about 1 small)
Char poblanos directly over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in plastic bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed, and chop poblanos.
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add chorizo; sauté until cooked through, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Mix in chili powder and cumin. Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper. Add to pot and stir. Add broth and next 5 ingredients. Mix in roasted poblanos. Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until turkey is tender, about 45 minutes. Season chili with more lime juice, if desired, and salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving.